The Mechanical Engineering Programme is designed to reflect a FUNCTIONAL philosophy of education. While seeking to achieve academic excellence and promote the furtherance of knowledge, the mechanical engineering programme also seeks to aid “¼ the acquisition of appropriate skills, abilities and competence, both mental and physical as equipment for the individual to live in and contribute to the development of his society..”
The programme is therefore committed to the production of qualified and competent technicians who will be able to face the challenges concomitant with the aspiration of the country to be technological developed. and the Technicians to be self-reliant after graduation.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The programme aims at producing mechanical engineering technicians for the nation’s industries, construction firms, public utilities and services. The diplomate should be able to:
- Interpret and prepare engineering Drawings of mechanical equipment, their components and systems;
- Carry out machining and fabrication operations.
- Produce machine components and assemble
- Operate, maintain and service mechanical equipment
- Prepare appropriate engineering report.
- Carry out plant installation and maintenance
- Apply management principles in organising supervisory groups and in the arrangement of sequence of activities.
- Acquire and display basic entrepreneur skills.
- Apply adequate Information Technology (IT) skills.
MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Candidates for admission into the programme should have a minimum of:
(i) Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSSC) with at least pass in English Language and credit passes in four subjects in at most two sittings which must include, mathematics, physics, chemistry, and one other subject from
- – biology
- – agricultural science
- – additional mathematics
- – economics
- – statistics
- – technical drawing, auto-mechanics and metal work
(ii) GCE ´O’ Level or its equivalent (Teachers Grade II or West African School Certificate) with at least a pass in English Language and credit passes in four relevant subjects as specified in (i) above.
(iii) National Technical Certificate (NTC) with credit passes in mathematics, integrated physical science, English Language and in the mechanical trade areas.
(iv) Pass at NBTE recognise Pre-National Diploma entry requirement in English Language and four credits in the relevant subjects listed in (i) above.
Polytechnics that offer ND/HND Mechanical Engineering Technology are:
- Abia State Polytechnic
- AFIT KADUNA
- Abdu Gusau Polytechnic
- Auchi Polytechnic
- Benue State Polytechnic
- College of Agriculture Lafia
- Federal College of Fisheries Technology, Lagos
- Federal Polytechnic Ado-Ekiti
- Akanu Ibiam Federal Polytechnic
- Federal Polytechnic Bauchi
- Federal Polytechnic Bida
- Federal Polytechnic Damaturu
- Federal Polytechnic Ede
- Federal Polytechnic Ekowe
- Federal Polytechnic Offa
- Federal Polytechnic Idah
- Federal Polytechnic Ilaro
- Federal Polytechnic Mubi
- Federal Polytechnic Kaura Namoda
- Federal Polytechnic Nasarawa
- Federal Polytechnic Nekede
- Federal Polytechnic Oko
- IMAPOLY LAFIA
- Ibadan polytechnic
- IMO state polytechnic
- IMT Enugu
- Jigawa State Polytechnic
- Kaduna Polytechnic
- Kano State Polytechnic
- Katsina Polytechnic
- Federal Polytechnic Kazaure
- Kogi State Polytechnic
- Kwara State Polytechnic
- Nuhu Bamalli Polytechnic
- Ogwashi Uku Polytechnic
- Oke Ogun Polytechnic
- Osun State Polytechnic Iree
- OSCOTECH Esa Oke
- Otefe Oghara Polytechnic
- plateau State Polytechnic
- Adamawa State Polytechnic
- PTI Warri
- Ramat Polytechnic
- Rufus Giwa Polytechnic
- Gateway Polytechnic Saapade
- KENPOLY RIVERS STATE
- Adeseun Ogundoyin Polytechnic
- Sokoto State Polytechnic
- Waziri Umaru Federal Polytechnic
- Niger state Polytechnic Zungeru
Where Do Mechanical Engineer ND/HND Holders Work?
Mechanical engineers generally work in offices. They may occasionally visit worksites where a problem or piece of equipment needs their personal attention. In most settings, they work with other engineers, engineering technicians, and other professionals as part of a team.
- Mechanical engineer also Analyze problems to see how mechanical and thermal devices might help solve a particular problem
- Design or redesign mechanical and thermal devices or subsystems, using analysis and computer-aided design
- Investigate equipment failures or difficulties to diagnose faulty operation and to recommend remedies
- Develop and test prototypes of devices they design
- Analyze the test results and change the design or system as needed