The Mechatronics Engineering Technology is an engineering programme that integrates the knowledge of Mechanical, Electrical, andElectronic engineering with Computer technology. The study of Mechatronics involves relevant aspects of electrical, electronics and mechanical engineering together with an understanding of manufacturing methods. It is a relatively new field of engineering with many exciting developments such as internet control of machines, autonomous robots and engine management systems.
There is, and will continue to be, a strong demand for engineers who are capable of designing, implementing and operating these systems to meet anincreasing need in industry where complexity of projects is done with limited resources. This document should provide the diplomateswith skills and knowledge in rapidly developing fields such as digital electronics, manufacturing, information technology and robotics.
The target at the National Diploma level is to make the diplomates skillful in Automotive and related industries. The programme includes substantial training in design techniques to prepare the diplomates for an exciting career in this emerging field of engineering at the higher level.
The National Diploma and Higher National Diploma Programme in Mechatronics Engineering Technology with options in automotive and industrial mechatronics is aimed at producing technologists with knowledge and skills to carry out design implementation, operations, troubleshooting and maintenance of mechatronics systems and equipment for both the public and private sectors of the economy.
On completion of HND Automotive Mechatronics Engineering Technology programme, the diplomates should:
- Function as technologists in automotive mechatronics as well as other related industries;
- Participate in the development of machines and equipment for automotive industries
- Carry out necessary general tests procedures and standard trouble-shooting techniques in fault detection and rectification ofautomotive
- and related products;
- Use intelligent diagnostic equipment in maintenance and repairs of automotive products;
- Observe relevant safety precautions in Mechatronics and other related Engineering practice;
- Use relevant techniques to implement optimal designs and install automated machines and robots to meet the needs of the automotive and related industries;
- Manage an enterprise effectively and efficiently.
The general entry requirements for the HND program include:
- All The requirements for admission into ND programme in Mechatronics Engineering Technology.
- A three-year ND Mechatronics Engineering Technology programme or a relevant ND in engineering discipline (Electrical/Electronics, Computer and Mechanical Engineering Technology) with one year post ND industrial experience.
- A minimum of lower credit pass (CGPA) of 2.50 and above in the ND examination. In exceptional cases, the ND diplomates with a pass grade (CGPA) 2.0 – 2.49) in the ND examination with one year post ND industrial experience for Mechatronics and two years post ND industrial experience for a relevant ND programme in engineering discipline (Electrical/Electronics, Computer and Mechanical Engineering Technology). However, the number of these candidates should not be more than 10% of the total student intake in each class.
ND ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Applicants with any of the following qualifications may be considered for admission into the National Diploma Programme by direct entry:
a. S.S.S.C or its equivalent (NTC, WASC, G.C.E, etc.) with passes at credit level in Mathematics, Physics, a Science subject (i.e. Chemistry, Biology, or Agricultural Science), and one other subject and an ordinary pass in English Language at not more than two sittings. In addition credit or ordinary pass in any of the following subjects will be an advantage: Wood Work, Metal Work,Auto-mechanics, Basic Electronics, Basic Electricity, Technical Drawing, Fine Art;b. Four passes at credit level in relevant subjects as stated in (a) above obtained at the final examination of an NBTE recognised preliminary AND Programme offered in a Polytechnic or similar post-secondary technical institution provided that students admitted into the Pre-ND have a Pass in English Language.
Polytechnics that offer ND/HND Mechatronics are:
- Federal Polytechnic Ado-Ekiti
- Akanu Ibiam Federal Polytechnic
- Federal Polytechnic Bauchi
- Federal Polytechnic Offa
- Federal Polytechnic Ilaro
- Federal Polytechnic Nekede
- Ibadan Polytechnic
- IMT Enugu
- Kaduna Polytechnic
- Kano Polytechnic
- Hussaini Adamu Federal Polytechnic Kazaure
- OSCOTECH Esa Oke
- PTI WARRI
Where can Mechatronics Engineer work?
Some mechatronics specialists are employed in firms where it is necessary to design and maintain automatic equipment. This includes industries such as manufacturing, mining, aviation, robotics, defense, and transport. Other mechatronic specialists are employed by large manufacturing companies involved in high-volume production. Many new career opportunities are on the horizon due to technological advances.
You can also work for the company that makes the industrial automation components (companies that make PLC/motion controllers, servo motors, actuators, sensors etc…)
And you can work for the company that will use those product, the user (factories or machine builders) they can be from different industries, to name a few:
- packaging industry
- food and beverages
- automotive / tires
- really any company that make a product could use a mechatronic engineer to automate their process!