Goal: The programme is intended to produce Innovative Technicians in Welding and Fabrication for Innovation Enterprises, Self-Employment, Private and Public Sectors of Nigerian Economy.
Objectives: A product of NID IN WELDING AND FABRICATION ENGINEERING should be able to:
- Carry out welding and fabrication operations.
- Develop the ability to communicate their knowledge of techniques, processes and materials by developing their graphical skills including freehand sketching and measured drawing.
- Develop practical bench-based skills to manipulate a range of common metals directed to the realization of ideas and the production of artefacts.
- Provide experience in the use of some common machine tools.
- Establish a capacity to read and interpret formal working drawings and diagrammatic illustrations.
- Acquire a body of knowledge to inform practical work and give a broad base of understanding of welding and metalworking.
- Nurture a safe approach to practical work with materials using hand and machine tools.
- Promote a capacity to solve specified technical design problems.
- Prepare appropriate engineering report.
- Apply management principles in organising supervisory groups and in the arrangement of sequence of activities.
- Acquire and apply basic entrepreneur skills.
- Apply adequate Information Technology (IT) skills.
Entry requirements for National Innovation Diploma in Welding and Fabrication Engineering
The general entry requirements for the NID programme are:
i. Post Secondary School Leavers with 5 Credit level passes in SSCE or equivalent in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, English Language and any other science or technical subjects, who are desirous of acquiring relevant employable skills.
ii. Unemployed or under-employed graduates looking for requisite employable skills.
iii. Employed graduates who desire relevant or additional working skills.
iv. Those out of school for a long time, in line with Government desire for open access to re-skilling and up-skilling of the nation’s workforce as part of Lifelong Learning (LLL).
v. Post NVC Final (articulation from the VEIs).
Polytechnics that Offer ND/HND Welding and Fabrication Engineering Technology are:
- Abia State Polytechnic
- College of Agriculture, Lafia
- Federal Polytechnic Ado-Ekiti
- Federal Polytechnic Nekede
- Federal Polytechnic Ilaro
- Jigawa State Polytechnic
- Kano State Polytechnic
- Katsina Polytechnic
- Kwara State Polytechnic
- Ogwashi Uku Polytechnic
- Osun State Polytechnic Iree
- Delta State Polytechnic Otefe Oghara
- PTI Warri
- Gateway ICT Polytechnic
Where Do Welding and Fabrication Engineering Graduates Work?
Welding engineers can be found working outside on site as well as in office work environments, manufacturing facilities and testing laboratories. Depending on the nature of the role, there could be a need for frequent travel.