The National Diploma Programme in Procurement and Supply Chain Management is aimed at producing diplomates with sound theoretical and practical knowledge as well as skills to carry out middle level Procurement and Supply Chain Management functions in industry and public service effectively.
At the end of the National Diploma programme, the diplomate should be able to:
- Understand the basic principles of procurement and supply chain
- Conduct basic market survey on any aspect of materials/items and equipment or services and make appropriate recommendation(s)
- to the authority;
- Identify potential sources of supply;
- Assist in the achievement of procurement policies;
- Assist in the preparation of short and long term budget
- Identify and update supplies documents;
- Apply principles of accounts to different types of procurement transactions;
- Understand the basic principles of law in procurement transactions
- Apply basic mathematics principles in procurement and supply chain decision making
- Understand the basic principles of storage and materials handling;
- Carry out effective supply market tasks;
- Communicate effectively
- Apply information technology effectively in procurement and supply chain activities
- Distribute materials effectively;
- Use entrepreneurial skills for self-employment
- Write procurement repoyes.
GENERAL ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
The general entry requirements for the ND programmes are:
- The WASC, GCE ‘O’ Level, the Senior Secondary Certificate (SSC), NABTEB or their equivalent with five credits, including English Language and Mathematics (Literature in English and Oral English are not acceptable in place of English Language) and three other subjects from Storekeeping, Economics, Business Methods, Principles of Accounts,Commerce, History, Statistics, Geography, Government, Agric. Science/Biology, Marketing.
The main goal of this HND in Procurement and Supply Chain Management programme is to train managers in modern procurement, business logistics management and related areas in supply chain management. In order for graduates to make effective contributions very early in their (first) appointment, there is a strong emphasis on case studies, real life application of knowledge. Specifically, the programme is designed with emphasis on an interdisciplinary approach to allow graduates to:
- a) Develop effective business skills and necessary tools and techniques to function effective as a manager upon completion.
- b) Understand the principles in the practice of procurement and supply management profession.
- c) Understand the importance of the procurement and supply management function in supply chain management.
- d) Identify procurement and supply related problems and provide solution to the problems.
- e) Plan, recruit for, train and organize the procurement and supply management function to make achievement of corporate objectives easier.
CAREERS AND PROFESSIONAL ACCREDITATION
The whole area of procurement and supply chain management is one the fastest growing, most dynamic and sought after in today‟s world economy; with an ever-increasing need for well educated, innovative and capable managers in such areas as procurement, inventory management, distribution, transport and fleet management, spend management, supplier development, event management (elections, census, concerts) etc. This Higher National Diploma in Procurement and Supply Chain Management responds directly to these demands.
All those graduating from the programme may obtain partial or full exemption from the academic membership requirements for the Chartered Institute of
Procurement and Supply Management – Nigeria (CIPSMN), the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS – UK), and the Institute of Logistics
and Transport (ILT – London). These are prestigious qualifications and a major advantage for those interested in pursuing careers in the industry.
HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA (HND) IN PROCUREMENT AND SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT.
The general entry requirements for the HND in Procurement and Supply Chain Management are:
- (a) all the requirements for admission into the ND programme in Procurement and Supply Chain Management.
- (b) a minimum of lower credit pass* (CGPA) of 2.50) in ND Procurement and Supply Chain Management, ND Purchasing and Supply, ND Business Administration and Management, ND Business Studies and related programmes.
- (c) a minimum of one year post – ND cognate work experience. Note: In exceptional cases, ND diplomates with a pass grade (CGPA of 2.00 – 2.49) in the cognate ND examination, with two or more years of work experience in the specific field, may be considered for admission into the HND programme.
Polytechnics that Offer ND/HND Procurement and Supply Chain Management are:
- Federal Polytechnic Ado-Ekiti
- Federal Polytechnic Offa
- Federal Polytechnic Mubi
- Federal Polytechnic Nekede
- Ibadan polytechnic
- Kaduna Polytechnic
- Kano Polytechnic
- Ramat Polytechnic
- Gateway ICT Polytechnic Saapade
- Akperan Orshi Polytechnic