Production and Operations Management (POM) is to introduce you to the field of production and operations management. The field of POM is dynamic, and very much a part of many of the good things that are happening in business organizations.
Generally, the subject matter represents a blend of concepts from industrial engineering, cost accounting, general management, marketing, quantitative methods and statistics. Production and Operations Management activities, such as forecasting, choosing a location for an office or plant, allocating resources, quality, and so on, are core activities of most business organizations.
The course aims to give you a broad frame-work for the management of the operations functions of organizations, and how this is used in planning, coordinating, and executing all the necessary activities that create goods and services. This will be achieved by aiming to:
- Introduce you to the principles and concepts of POM;
- Demonstrate how to determine an organisation’s strategies and
- competitive priorities;
- Explain how managers make decisions about the type of work to
- be done in-house, the amount of automation to use, and methods
- of improving existing process;
- Explain the technologies to pursue and ways to provide
- leadership in technological change;
- Outline how to structure the organisation, foster teamwork, the
- degree of specialisation, or enlargement of the jobs created by the
- process, and methods of making time estimates for work
- Demonstrate how to coordinate the various parts of the internal
- and external supply chain, forecast demand, manage inventory
- and control output and staffing levels over time.
Polytechnics that Offer ND/HND Production and Operations Management are:
- Abuja School of Pension