Students in the Industrial and Labour and relations programme gain training in union-management relations, human resource operations and collective bargaining.
The programme provides students with a broad understanding of the roles that human resources and labour relations play in various organizations. Students consider the relationship between employees, employers, labour unions and other organizations.
It is a management related programme with special emphasis on the dynamics of labour law and employment regulation in line with international best practices as stipulated by International Labour Organization.
The programme prepares students for work in entry-level positions at human resources departments of various organizations. They also work in non-profit organizations, government agencies and labour organizations.
Admission to the ND Industrial and Labour Relations programme is through the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB). Candidates are expected to meet the required cut off score in the JAMB Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME). The required UTME subjects are Mathematics, Economics plus one other relevant subject. Other required qualifications are:
- WASC/SSCE/GCE “O” level or equivalent with a minimum of five (5) credit passes in relevant subjects including mathematics, English Language obtained at not more than two sittings and three others from Economics/ Commerce, Government, Book Keeping / Accounting and Literature in English OR
- Teachers Grade II Certificate at merit / Credit level in five (5) relevant subjects including Mathematics and English Language OR
- Those with higher qualifications such as ND, HND or university degree but little or no knowledge of Industrial and Labour Relations may apply
Polytechnics that offer ND/HND Industrial & Labour Relations are:
- Federal College of Fisheries and Marine Technology, Lagos
- Kaduna Polytechnic
- Michael Imoudu National Institute for Labour Studies
- Ramat Polytechnic
- Mathematics, Economics plus one(1) other relevant subject