The programme is designed to produce Agricultural Engineering Technicians Capable of utilizing and carrying out repairs and routine maintenance of farm machinery, irrigation and drainage facilities as well as storage and processing equipment and who can assist in the design of farms, farm structures and other farm facilities.
On the completion of the programme the diplomat of ND in Agricultural and Bio-environmental Engineering Technology should be able to:
- Operate, maintain and repair farm tractors, and other farm implements, tools equipment and machinery.
- Supervise and manage mechanized farms and farming operations.
- Construct and maintain small earth dams, drainage and water distribution system and structures for irrigation purposes.
- Carry out the construction and layout of contours, terraces, strip cropping for soil conservation purposes.
- Erect simple farm storage structures (silos, cribs, rhumbus etc.)
- Maintain and repair simple primary crop processing machines like sellers, decorticators, graters, milling machine, grinders etc.
- Install, maintain and repair irrigation equipment.
- Design, maintain and repair electrical wiring systems in farm buildings and houses.
- Prepare brief technical reports on small scale farm enterprises.
- Prepare a farm survey plan and land capability classification of a farm.
Applicants with any of the following may be considered for admission into the National Diploma Programme in Agricultural and Bio-environmental Engineering Technology:
1. At least a pass in English Language and Credit level passes in four subjects obtained in not more than two sittings in GCE ‘O’ Level, or Secondary School Certificates (SSCE). The four subjects include Mathematics, Physics, Biology/Agriculture Science or Chemistry and the other subjects.
2. At least a pass in English Language and four credit passes in an NBTE recognized preliminary National Diploma Course offered in a Polytechnic or similar post Secondary technical institution. The credit passes must include Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, biology.
Polytechnics that Offer ND/HND Agricultural & Bio-Environmental Engineering are:
- Auchi polytechnic
- College of Agriculture Lafia
- Federal College of Agriculture, Akure
- Federal Polytechnic Bali
- Federal Polytechnic Bauchi
- Federal Polytechnic Bida
- Federal Polytechnic Ado
- Federal Polytechnic Offa
- Federal Polytechnic Ilaro
- Federal Polytechnic Mubi
- Federal Polytechnic Nekede
- IMO state polytechnic
- IMT Enugu
- Kaduna Polytechnic
- National water Resource Institute Mando
- Ogwashi Uku polytechnic
- Oke Ogun Polytechnic
- Osun polytechnic Iree
- Adamawa State Polytechnic
- Rufus Giwa Polytechnic
Where Do Graduates of Agric Engineering Work?
There are many career options within engineering that professionals can work toward. Here are some jobs related to your career:
- Food production worker
- Agriculture specialist
- Soil Technician
- Irrigation Technician
- Research associate
- Mechanical engineer
- Process Engineer
Graduates in this well-respected program are employed for the purpose of:
- designing and managing food production systems
- protecting surface and ground water quality
- designing natural resource management systems
- developing and managing bioprocessing systems
- designing off-road vehicles and agricultural equipment
- designing animal production facilities and environmental control systems