The National Diploma in Maritime Transport and Business Studies is designed to produce personnel with adequate knowledge and skills to offer middle level management and administration Ports and Shipping operations.
The thrust of the programme is a substantial and intensive core curriculum that gives students a firm conceptual analytical foundation for decision-making. It prepares students to meet the challenges of the modern corporate world with a blend of professional careers in ship broking, Marine Insurance, Freight Forwarding, Logistics and Distribution, Academics, Arbitration etc
The objectives of the National Diploma Programme in Maritime Transport and Business Management are to equip diplomates with sound theoretical and practical knowledge to carry out a number of activities in shipping and business concerns effectively. The ND diplomates should be able to:
- Communicate fluently, write technical reports and essays in English Language as required in International maritime business.
- Communicate and carry out simple business transactions in French language.
- Understand relevant areas of the constitution of Nigeria as may be required
- Understand the rights and obligations of the Nigerian Citizen
- Operate basic computer programmes relevant to Maritime.
- Carry out Investment appraisal.
- Apply economic principles to shipping.
- Apply basic principles of management to maritime and business activities.
- Use the principles of cost accounting in shipping business.
- Participate in marketing of shipping services.
- Know how to establish a business.
- Understand shipboard Operations
- Know shipping trade areas of the world and meteorological phenomena likely to affect shipping.
- Acquire skills for assessment and analysis of maritime economics
- Transact shipping business using all the relevant documents.
- Apply the relevant legal provisions in shipping.
- Know how to undertake a marine insurance policy and claims procedure.
- Know how to carry out port operations.
- Know the manpower and physical development requirements of a port.
- Understand Port agency.
- Carry out field research works in relevant areas.
For the ND Maritime Transport and Business Studies Programme, the entry requirement is the General
Certificate of Education (GCE) Ordinary Level or the Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSSC) or equivalent qualifications with credit passes in at least five subjects obtained at not more than two sittings which must include English Language and Mathematics and any other three subjects from the following:
- Economics, Geography, Commerce, Statistics, Government, History, Home Economics, French and Additional/Modern Mathematics.
Age: Applicants for the Merchant Navy Course must be between 16 and 23 years of age at the time of enrolment whilst Maritime and Business Management applicants should be between 16 and 25 years.
Medical: Applicants must be able-bodied, medically fit and without any disabilities.
Polytechnics that Offer ND/HND Maritime Transport and Business Studies are:
- Coastal Polytechnic Apapa
- Delta State School of Marine Technology
- Federal College of Fisheries and Marine Technology, Lagos
- Maritime Academy of Nigeria
- Federal Polytechnic Ilaro