The goal of the National Diploma (ND) programme in Banking and Finance is to produce intermediate technical manpower with sound theoretical and practical knowledge who can effectively perform a range of various functions in banks, other financial institutions, commerce, industry, private and public enterprises.
The diplomats of the ND Banking and Finance should be able to:
- Collect and integrate basic financial data for use in investment decisions.
- Assist in the preparation of final accounts of companies and other financial organizations.
- Assist in the preparation of short and long term budgets;
- Collect and collate relevant financial information to aid superior officers/and management financial decisions.
- Compute basic financial and statistical ratios.
- Assist in the analysis and evaluation of investment proposals, price and market trends.
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS NATIONAL DIPLOMA
Applicants with the following qualifications may be considered for admission into the National programmers by direct entry:
Senior Secondary Certificate or its equivalent (Teachers Grade II, W.A.S.C.., GCE Ordinary Level). with four credit passes in English Language, Mathematics and any other two subjects from the following: Economics, Business Methods, Principles of Accounts, Literature in English, Commerce, History, Statistics, Geography, Government, Agric Science/Biology obtained at not more than two sitting; or Four credit passes in relevant subjects as stated in (i) above obtained at the final examination of an NBTE recognized Preliminary ND Programme offered by the polytechnics and similar post-secondary technical institutions.
The HND Programme in Banking and Finance is designed to produce graduates with a comprehensive knowledge and thorough understanding of Business Operations of Banks and Financial
Institutions. This should place the graduate in management position in Banking and Finance Industry. The HND programme should contribute adequately to the production of good quality honest and dedicated management manpower for Banks, Financial Institutions, Commerce, Industry, Private and Public enterprises.
OBJECTIVES OF THE HND IN BANKING AND FINANCE
The Graduate of the HND Banking and Finance programme should be able to:
- Analyse and criticize final accounts of firms, especially as an aid to lending;
- Conduct search and perfect all security documents submitted by borrowing customers.
- Interpret basic statistical data (Price changes, Interest and Foreign Exchange rates, etc);
- Calculate, interpret and apply the Net Present Value and Internal Rate of Returns and other investment criteria;
- Prepare short and long term budget plans such as; cash budget, sales budget and pro forma balance sheet; etc.
- Forecast Market trends so as to determine profitability, viability, etc;
- Evaluate and manage investment portfolio;
- Analyse investment proposals;
- Analyze and Evaluate financial assets for investment purposes.
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA (HND) IN BANKING AND FINANCE
The general entry requirements for the HND banking and Finance programme shall be:
- All the requirements for admission into the ND Banking and Finance/Financial Studies programme, plus
- A minimum of lower credit pass (GPA 2.50) in the ND Financial Studies or Banking and Finance;
- A minimum of one year Post ND cognate work experience.
- Note: In few exceptional cases ND graduates with a pass (CGPA of 2.00 – 2.49) in the ND who have worked for two or more years in the field, may be considered for admission into the HND programme. The number of such candidates, however, should not be more than 20% of the number of students in the class.
Polytechnics that Offer ND/HND Banking and Finance (BFN) are:
- Federal coo College Orji-River
- Federal Polytechnic Ado-Ekiti
- Federal Polytechnic Bauchi
- Federal Polytechnic Bida
- Federal Polytechnic Damaturu
- Federal Polytechnic Ede
- Federal Polytechnic Ekowe
- Federal Polytechnic Offa
- Federal Polytechnic Ilaro
- Federal Polytechnic Mubi
- Federal Polytechnic Kaura Namoda
- Federal Polytechnic Nasarawa
- Federal Polytechnic Nekede
- Federal Polytechnic Oko
- Fidei Polytechnic
- Grace Polytechnic
- Ibadan Polytechnic
- Imo State Polytechnic
- IMT ENUGU
- Kaduna Polytechnic
- Kano State Polytechnic
- Katsina Polytechnic
- Federal Polytechnic Kazaure
- kwara State Polytechnic
- LAPO Institute
- Lighthouse Polytechnic
- Nuhu Bamalli Polytechnic
- NICT Uromi
- Oke Ogun Polytechnic
- Osun State Polytechnic Iree
- OSCOTECH Esa Oke
- Delta State Polytechnic Otefe
- Port Harcourt Polytechnic
- Plateau State Polytechnic
- Adamawa state Polytechnic
- Ramat Polytechnic
- Rufus Giwa Polytechnic
- Gateway Polytechnic, Saapade
- Temple Gate Polytechnic
- Edo State Polytechnic
- Wollex Polytechnic
- Niger State Polytechnic Zungeru