The ECWA Theological Seminary, Jos, (usually called JETS) is wholly owned and operated by the Evangelical Church Winning All.
In the early 1970s the need arose in ECWA to start a theological institution with the distinctive purpose of meeting the contextual needs of both the church and contemporary African society. While discussing the theological education needs of ECWA, it was realised that one seminary could not meet ECWA’s future leadership training needs.
A Curriculum Consultation Committee was formed comprising ECWA educators, church leaders and Professor G.O.M. Tasie, the then Dean of the Faculty of Arts, University of Jos. It met on a number of occasions at ECWA Headquarters between 1979 and 1980. The committee’s purpose was to provide guidelines towards the setting up of a distinctive theological seminary and curriculum. It was the new philosophy of theological education and its curriculum which attracted the first principal of the Seminary, Professor H.W. Norton, the former Dean of Wheaton College Graduate School. He headed the new Seminary from 1980 to 1983.
The early programmes of JETS were developed based upon research undertaken in early 1980 to determine the basic areas of need in the church and society. Three basic areas of need were identified
JETS has Affiliate status with Association for Christian Theological Education in Africa (ACTEA), and working toward full accreditation of its programmes with ACTEA.
JETS is affiliated to the University of Jos for the Bachelor of Arts Christian Religious Studies (BA CRS) Award. Students seeking affiliation to University of Jos must complete affiliation exams for each course in addition to the JETS continuous assessment.
Full-time or part-time programmes of study are offered at the Jos campus, Zaria Road, in the Diploma of theology programme (Dip. Theo), namely:
- Diploma of Theology Pastoral Studies
- Diploma of Theology Missions and Evangelism
Four tracks are offered in the Bachelor of Arts in Theology Programme (BA), namely:
- Bachelor of Arts in Theology Pastoral Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Theology Missions and Evangelism
- Bachelor of Arts in Theology Youth Ministries
- Bachelor of Arts in Theology Christian Education
Eight tracks are available in the Master of Arts in Theology Programme (MA):
- Master of Arts in Theology Biblical Studies New Testament
- Master of Arts in Theology Biblical Studies Old Testament
- Master of Arts in Theology Theological Studies
- Master of Arts in Theology Pastoral Studies
- Master of Arts in Theology Missiological Studies
- Master of Arts in Theology Educational Studies
- Master of Arts in Theology Leadership and Administration
- Master of Arts in Theology Psychology and Biblical Counselling
Master of Divinity (MDiv)
- Postgraduate Diploma of Theology (PGDT)
- Doctor of Ministry degree (DMin) and a Doctor of Philosophy programme (PhD)
Programmes are offered in June-July at the Jos Campus for students who cannot attend the regular programme.
Courses in Diploma Theology, BA Theology, PGDT, MA Theology and MDiv programmes are offered, during which three sessions are run.
The summer-only student who is admitted into a four-year BA programme should complete his BA within eight summer sessions. The diligent student should expect to complete a semester of courses in one summer session. However, certain practicum and the thesis are not offered as summer courses.
Extended Education Centres
JETS runs extension programmes at two locations: Kaduna, and Abuja. The Diploma in Theology award is offered at all centres. The BA programme is offered at Kaduna. The PGDT programme has recently begun at the Kaduna and Abuja centres.
ECWA College of Education, Jos (ECoEJ)
ECoEJ offers NCE programmes in the School of Languages, School of Arts and Social Sciences, and School of Early Childhood Care and Primary Education.
- NCE I – #62,000
- NCE II – #50,000
- NCE III – #50,000
- Other programs – #70,000