The student union Government of the Osun State polytechnic Iree have met with the management of the polytechnic over the recent hike in tuition fees for the 2023/2024 academic session.
POLYTV reports that the school management approved the increment of school fees by over 80% which has caused mixed reactions among students of the institution.
The newly admitted students were directed to pay 150k while returning students are to pay 80k for the current session.
Meanwhile the student union has directed the polytechnic students to suspend payment of school fees and other dues until further directive from the stakeholders.
During the meeting between Ospoly Stakeholders and the Management, presided over by the Dean of Student Affairs (DSA), the following key points were discussed:
1. School Fees Concerns: Stakeholders raised concerns about the perceived exorbitant and burdensome nature of the current school fees for Ospoly students.
2. Effects of Fee Increment: Deliberations centered around the potential impacts and consequences of the proposed tuition fee increment, sparking a dialogue on finding viable solutions.
3. Immediate Action: It was unanimously agreed that affected students should refrain from paying tuition fees until further directives are communicated.
4. Management’s Commitment: The Management representatives assured stakeholders of positive outcomes and committed to providing updates on Monday, January 8, 2024.
5. Call for Peace: All Ospoly students were urged to maintain peace and harmony within the polytechnic and its surroundings during this period of agitation,demand and potential resolution.
This report encapsulates the key highlights of the meeting and sets the tone for collaborative efforts towards resolving the issues at hand.